Google Maps shortcuts revert on Maps app update

Explain your issue here
DavidMoksha

Google Maps shortcuts revert on Maps app update

Post by DavidMoksha » Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:42 pm

To reproduce this issue:

0. Google Maps must be installed, and it must be possible to receive updates to Maps (like from the Google Play Store).
If you already have Maps installed, and there is an update available, do not install it yet! ;)

1. long-tap an empty spot on the home screen (or other panel/folder/etc) and click "+" to add something
2. Select "Shortcut" from the top (Built-Ins > Icons & Text)
3. Select "Directions" (a Maps shortcut/widget, with the standard circular Google Maps icon)
4. Choose what you like, driving or bicycling, turn-by-turn navigation, choose a destination and give a shortcut name, and press save.
5. The shortcut will appear as a blue rectangle with a picture of a [car or bicycle], and the label you gave it.
6. If you tap the shortcut, it should open Maps in driving directions mode with your selected destination.

The above works great! Very convenient.

The problem comes whenever Google Maps has an update from the Google Play store.
(If you have just created a shortcut like this (and tried it!) and there is currently a Maps update ready to install, you can install that update now.)
After the update is installed, all such shortcuts stop working as shortcuts. They change to the standard circular Maps icon, and they open Maps without any destination.

I've deleted and re-created these shortcuts so many times now (due to Maps frequent updates) that I've given up and stopped re-creating them. This was a nice convenience that I have sadly lost.

Just now I checked my OnePlus launcher (which I had not opened probably since August). I see that I have similar Maps shortcuts(widgets) there, created many months ago, which are still working as expected. So this seems to be specific to LL.

I'm using a OnePlus 5 (A5000), with OxygenOS 9.0.4 (based on Android 9 Pie). I think this problem may have started when Android 9 was first installed; I don't think I had this issue before December.

I would be curious to hear if other people can reproduce this issue on other versions of android 9, or lower versions as well? Although what I would really like is for it to get fixed :D

TrianguloY

Re: Google Maps shortcuts revert on Maps app update

Post by TrianguloY » Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:52 pm

Interesting. There is no current map update for me so I can't test it properly (although I could download an old apk...perhaps I try on an emulator later).
For now I created a shortcut and I'll test it as soon as maps is updated. For the record, this is the intent the shortcut currently has:

Code: Select all

google.navigation:/?target=c&mode=r&q=test&entry=dw#Intent;component=com.google.android.apps.maps/com.google.android.maps.MapsActivity;i.ve_type=20409;end
One question: you say you tried with another launcher but only with old shortcuts. Did you tried with that other launcher but with newer shortcuts? (Created from the latest maps version I mean). Perhaps those older shortcuts work because they are precisely old. Can't say for sure but if you could test them too that should be helpful.

Pierrot
Site Admin

Post by Pierrot » Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:18 pm

Hummm... I think I know what the problem is.
Upon app update LL tries to update shortcuts to ensure they still point to the app (because its entry point can change). But when I look at the code I see it does this the wrong way, and I wonder how it worked in the past :-(

DavidMoksha

Post by DavidMoksha » Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:26 pm

Pierrot, perhaps you have old code in version control?

TrianguloY, as an experiment I have created new shortcuts in both launchers; when Maps updates I'll reply again. However I expect Pierrot has found the issue already.

I am feeling excited that this may get fixed somewhat soon after being broken for many months! Thanks :-)

Pierrot
Site Admin

Post by Pierrot » Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:55 am

I'll probably release a beta update at the end of the week with a fix for this issue :-)

DavidMoksha

Post by DavidMoksha » Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:06 pm

How do I get on this beta? I'm going to look around the forums here and hopefully find an answer, but if somebody points me to it, that would be nice 😁

TrianguloY, I tried as you suggested; the new shortcut in OnePlus launcher was also not affected by a recent update, and LL's broke again

Pierrot
Site Admin

Post by Pierrot » Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:18 am

Please use the link here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3