Buggy???

This is the place to ask "How do I ...?"
Boowho

Buggy???

Post by Boowho » Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:04 am

I have after several days of tinkering with it (for HOURS I might add) have pretty well figured out all the customization functions.

However, the program seems VERY buggy to me. I can do an operation of some sort (for ex adding an app to a side bar) successfully and then 10 seconds later I do the exact same steps again and it doesn't work.

Anyone agree with me that it IS buggy?? Or am I doings wrong.

Documentation is very poor and completely outdated.

For example one place on the doc pages it states that the scripting language is JAVA and later on says it's JavaSCRIPT. SO which is it?? Anyone know??

Thanks

Boowho??

JayM

Re: Buggy???

Post by JayM » Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:43 am

It hasn't been updated in about a year so you should really expect it to be buggy, newer Android versions haven't actually been tested by the developer. Were does it say the scripting language is Java? Android classes can be used which makes it possible to use stuff like webviews, buttons, imageviews, listviews, spinners and pretty much anything else you can think of, for a quick example have a look at my quick theme script (in the scripts section) thats written in JavaScript but uses the Android Palette API to extract colors from the system wallpaper, and at the time Java was the official language for Android development so while we can only write JavaScript in lightning if we wanted to use Android classes they would need to be translated into JavaScript.

Boowho

Re: Buggy??? OOPS!!!!

Post by Boowho » Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:08 pm

So you're saying it IS JavaScript that is uses??

I'm a bit rusty but are PACKAGES now used in JavaScript?? Packages were used in Java only as far as I remember. Maybe it's and E-6 thing??

https://www.lightninglauncher.com/scrip ... kages.html

Also, would one of the older versions be better to use; assuming I can find one??

BTW, thanks a LOT for the reply. This launcher has great potential, but not if the Dev has become so lax/blase about it.

EDIT: OK, I've never use JavaScript alongside Android before. Always embedded in an HTML5 web page.

Hence my confusion. And beside this I am almost 80 years old. Been "slinging code" since 1964 (or 56 years) ...