Present and future of Lightning Launcher

General news regarding the project
TrianguloY

Present and future of Lightning Launcher

Post by TrianguloY » Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:05 pm

Disclaimer: the following post is written by me as a 'user' of LL and doesn't represents other developers/members of this forum unless explicitly said.

First of all: if you are reading this and you were an old user of this forum, you may find it shocking that it is up and running again after 3 years of it being dead. Apparently there were a missing module/update that broke it internally, and Pierre was able to fix it. Just before becoming broken I disabled the account creation, and deleted almost all users without any message to fight spam (which I though was the reason of it 'dissapearing', apparently not). I'm going to keep it that way, at least for now, but if you do want to create an account just contact me (correo--correo (at) hotmail (dot) com) and I'll create one for you.

Second, and most important of all, as you read in the previous paragraph I was able to contact Pierre. He is 'in good health' but is 'not in the Android ecosystem anymore'. This conversation allowed me to ask about something that some of us, specially myself, had in mind for a very long time: open-sourcing Lightning Launcher.

And I can confirm that Pierre is 'OK' with it, although he doesn't 'have a clear idea of what could be the future for such a project' 'what would be my role in this move and beyond' and 'know whether this would benefit a lot of people or not'. As I already explained to him, even if it doesn't, I personally want really hard to do it, to archive it, but most importantly to allow future users to have the opportunity, will they use it or not. In any case I'm willing to do it all by myself, and I'll only ask him for help or questions about things like license and platform, for example.

My current plan of action is as follows:
  1. Open source the code. I personally already have access to it, so even if it can be seen as simple as 'putting the zip in a public folder' I would prefer to do it more carefully and in a git-related platform (most probably GitHub). This may take some time in order to prepare everything, but if for some reason it is very hard or with unexpected issues, I'm preparing the 'zip solution'. --> DONE. The source code is now public on https://github.com/pierrehebert/LightningLauncher
  2. Once it is published, if I (or other users) have time (and this is a very big if), the next step is to build the app up-to-date with newer Android versions and sdk. I'm still using LL as my main launcher on an Android 12 phone, so even if it's for personal purpose I think I can try to spend some time on it. I can't promise it unfortunately. --> In progress: https://github.com/TrianguloY/Lightning ... /developer
  3. If it is correctly updated (and this is a bigger if) the idea is to try to publish the app, either with the same id on Play Store or a different one, and maybe on other stores like F-droid. This step is to have it available for non-tech users that doesn't know how to build and compile the project from the sources.
  4. If all the previous steps are a success, and if users are interested (this is the biggest if), start developing new bugfixes and features. Not sure if this step will ever be executed, but it's nice to have a goal.

I don't know how useful this whole process will be, I don't even know how many users would like to go back to a 3-year old launcher, but as I already explained: I would like future users to, at least, have the opportunity to try. Step 1 is the only one that will happend one way or another, steps 2-3-4 depends on us as a community.

In any case, as Pierre said: 'The only reasons to publish it for me is to let long time users of LL a chance to use this tool in the future, and maybe spark some ideas in other innovative minds.'

Sincerely,
TrianguloY

[note: this is a post, not an email, feel free to comment below, if you wish]

franc

Re: Present and future of Lightning Launcher

Post by franc » Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:44 am

These are very good news!
I am happy to hear that Pierre is living :)
Your plans seem very reasonable and I will participate in any work as I can!
Let you hear, when you need help and which!
Full hope, frank

TrianguloY

Post by TrianguloY » Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:28 pm

Thank you!

I'll keep this posts updated with all the progress, but keep in mind that it may take quite some time to have everything ready.

Until step 1 is finished there is not much external users can do...except maybe try to contact other long-time users (as it appears this forum email functionality is broken)

squiper

Post by squiper » Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:26 am

me alegro que esté bien de salud

Evelien

Post by Evelien » Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:28 pm

Hey, great to hear LL might be going open source. Old user here, and still use LL as my daily launcher, and I would miss LL extremely if I could not use it anymore. I have no development skills so I am not be able to help with that. I realy hope LL would become alive again, and updated to the new android versions and sdk. I have no contact with other long time users, so I am not be able to do that either.
I will check this forum more frequently for updates around this idea.
Thank You.

SteliosAxios

Post by SteliosAxios » Sun Dec 11, 2022 11:00 am

Hi,
I am a user of LL, for many years, so I am glad to hear that LL may be alive again, since there are bugs and issues that should be fixed.

I don't have development knowledge to support the works but I wonder if the community can support financially the developing team in order to make dream the resurrection of LL to become true.

juwlz

Post by juwlz » Sun Dec 11, 2022 7:30 pm

I am delighted to hear of any possible continuing development of Lightning Launcher 🎉

I can't contribute anything technical other than testing, but I'm happy to pay for either developments to the existing app, or a new one that offers similar features ... which may be a more feasible way to rebuild the app on a way that better reflects current (and future) default Android launcher features, whilst adding the advanced features that are unique to LL.

I have occasionally tried other launchers but have been sorely disappointed. Absolutely nothing else even comes ANYWHERE close to the unique features of LL (for me, off the top of my head, the important ones are multiple home page types and layouts, nested folders, and the ability to set up multiple gestures with different actions for every item on the screen).

The main things that I personally have technical issues with on Android 12 are
1. the OS "forgetting" that LL is my default Launcher after using split screen

2. the default action for a long press doesn't bring up short cuts for an app the way the default launcher would

3. if I move a shortcut created by an app into a folder, the shortcut becomes inoperable. In most cases, I can circumvent that by creating the shortcut directly within the folder if the app concerned allows it. For web pages, I write a little one line Tasker task that launches the web page in question.

In the greater scheme of things, those are minor annoyances compared with the amazing features and benefits that I get from LL ... but they're a reason why I can't currently recommend it to anyone who doesn't need the advanced features.

I know that many people seem to think that they should get software for free, but I'm a believer in supporting developers, whether via purchase or subscription. On the other hand, I always like to see a free version with simplified features and a trial period long enough to properly evaluate features.

Julie

TrianguloY

Post by TrianguloY » Sun Dec 11, 2022 10:19 pm

Just a couple things:
juwlz wrote:
Sun Dec 11, 2022 7:30 pm
1. the OS "forgetting" that LL is my default Launcher after using split screen
That's because splitscreen currently crashes the launcher. If step 4 ever happens, that'll probably be my first fix (I also encounter it myself).
juwlz wrote:
2. the default action for a long press doesn't bring up short cuts for an app the way the default launcher would
Those are the app shortcuts, which are already available with the "show app shortcuts" action. You can set it on the long tap action to simulate the standard launcher behaviour, but then you will need to enter edit mode for the LL standard long tap menu.
juwlz wrote:
3. if I move a shortcut created by an app into a folder, the shortcut becomes inoperable. In most cases, I can circumvent that by creating the shortcut directly within the folder if the app concerned allows it. For web pages, I write a little one line Tasker task that launches the web page in question.
This is a really old known issue with a workaround: instead of moving the shortcut, create a clone (the "+" button), move the clone, then delete the original.

Cueball666uk

Post by Cueball666uk » Sun Dec 18, 2022 10:01 pm

Good evening [mention]TrianguloY[/mention], this is a very welcome bit of news... I have been using Total Launcher as a replacement recently and it's actually pretty good... But it's not lightning... I'm so excited for a potential future with lightning included. I felt like I just started to get to grips with some things and then everything just went quiet.

I will be more than happy to help in any way I can, including donating towards future development as I'm sure many others would be happy to also.

I'm happy to hear Pierre is around and well... Maybe some renewed effort into total may spur him on to return to android 🙂👍🏻

Infernity

Post by Infernity » Mon Dec 19, 2022 6:32 pm

I'm excited for an open source Lightning, especially if we keep updating it

INeedTogepi

Post by INeedTogepi » Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:46 pm

I have a bug to add to the list:
When attempting to add a web shortcut to the home screen from a web browser app it results in LL crashing. When LL restarts after the crash the web shortcut is not found anywhere on the home screen.
I've tested this with both Chrome and Edge.

Looking forward to when the source code gets released.

SeanSherman

Post by SeanSherman » Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:17 am

I was beginning to worry that Lightning was over. I've been searching all over for another launcher that allows me to set up a home screen with pages in the x and y axis, with no luck. Really happy with the prospect of open sourcing this project! I am a developer and would be interested in contributing to this project, though my mobile experience is only with Flutter; regardless I'd be happy to figure things out and be of use! My github username is sdsherm

JayM

Post by JayM » Sun Jan 22, 2023 3:13 pm

Still using in 2023 on Android 13 :D

I had a feeling Pierre had left the Android scene like, im very curious what he's using now though. Surely he hasn't switched to IOS 🤔

NO

Post by NO » Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:37 am

I'm was waiting for u!

EjasMudar

Post by EjasMudar » Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:27 am

Brilliant! I registered just to come and revel in this great news. I have been trying so hard to find a replacement launcher but nothing is as powerful.

TrianguloY

Post by TrianguloY » Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:12 pm

Quick update and a warning:

Update: The repository is almost ready, but Pierre still needs to checks a few things before switching to public. He is quite absent, and I don't want to rush him, so unfortunately I don't know how much more we will need to wait.

Warning: The forum notifications are broken, and when you post a message you get an error. This error is just to tell you (in a very bad way) that notifications couldn't be sent. But do not worry, your message WAS posted and you can check it by going back and refreshing the page.
Please note that new users also have a "first message must require reviewing" configuration, so your first message will need to be reviewed and approved by me (I'm quick though, so don't worry).

TrianguloY

Post by TrianguloY » Sun Jan 29, 2023 6:03 pm

First step completed! the source code is now public on https://github.com/pierrehebert/LightningLauncher go star it!

And would you look at that, this is my 100th post!

JayM

Post by JayM » Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:01 pm

Awesome and congrats on the 100th post

cheeseonamonkey

Post by cheeseonamonkey » Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:55 pm

Just voicing my support :) I am active on the Github repo as well.

SteliosAxios

Post by SteliosAxios » Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:29 pm

Hi guys!
Any news or progress or plan? Will we see the revival of the app soon?

TrianguloY

Post by TrianguloY » Wed Mar 01, 2023 9:48 am

The app source code is now published. Currently no one has worked on it (at least not publicly), personally I haven't yet.

SteliosAxios

Post by SteliosAxios » Sun Mar 05, 2023 6:58 pm

My opinion is to set a monthly/annual paid subscription for the app.
I understand that the guys are too busy and it is not easy to spend time to update the app. The possibility of profit may change this.
Otherwise I don't think that the app will be updated.

ChimeraLove

Post by ChimeraLove » Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:25 pm

Thank you TrianguloY for doing all this!
I'm also using LL for many years!

cdfa

Post by cdfa » Mon May 22, 2023 9:45 pm

This is amazing news! I still use LL daily and I refuse to let it go.
I do have software development skills, but I have little experience with the android platform (all my experience with android comes from messing around with LL scripting haha. But I have a Master's in Software Science now (partly thanks to LL) so I pretty sure I will be able to figure things out).
However, like everyone so far, I am in short supply of time, but I do expect to be able to free some time for LL in a few months. I will get in contact when that happens :)

RedRebel

Post by RedRebel » Sat Jul 22, 2023 4:32 am

Hello
I just bought a new phone and of course I wanted to keep using LL. Google has blocked me from downloading it from the Play Store because LL "was for an older version of Android" :roll:
So I transferred LL from my old phone ;)
I'll keep using LL until it's completely incompatible and totally stops working !

I'm very happy to see that LL has a future :)
is there anyway to financially support the project ?

Also, is there anyway I can send a final payment to Pierre as a Thank You gift for the energy he invested in the creation/development/support of LL in the past and for giving us the source code ?

Sophie, Red Rebel 4 ever.

TrianguloY

Post by TrianguloY » Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:10 pm

I'm happy to announce that Step 2 (building the app for newer android version) is being worked on by SVolf. You can check the progress here: https://github.com/TrianguloY/Lightning ... /developer

franc

Post by franc » Sat Nov 04, 2023 7:04 am

TrianguloY wrote:
> And would you look at that, this is my 100th post!
Congratulations :)

And thank you very much for your great work here and at GitHub, it's really appreciated!

CraigAllen

Post by CraigAllen » Sun Nov 12, 2023 3:07 pm

Thank you to the developers who are resurrecting what I believe to be the best launcher for Android.

I was somewhat in despair after I updated my phone to Android 14 and Lightning kept crashing. I looked at a bunch of other launchers but it didn't look as though I could achieve the same appearance and functionality that I have grown to expect with LL. Fortunately I stumbled across TrianguloY's repo and the release from last week.

It seems to be working fine. Keep up the good work!

YannisGR

Post by YannisGR » Sat Feb 17, 2024 1:35 pm

I salute the community of LL!
I'm fan of LL since 2013 and i'm very happy to see future on this Laucher!
Is there a newer vesion (now I'm using 14.3 - 6de3540) ?
Are there any plans for update?

TrianguloY

Post by TrianguloY » Sat Feb 17, 2024 2:01 pm

There has been some maintenance updates on my Github, and you can test the apks if you want, but there are no changes from a user preservative.
Also, progress is very slow (almost nonexistent) and most if not all of the work has been made by SVolf, sorry.

Wern-YuenTan

Post by Wern-YuenTan » Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:22 am

Planning to update to A14 and really glad the project is alive! LL was working fine for me in A12 but I'd heard compatibility issues with A14. Are there any issues with the open source build that prevent it from being a daily driver?

Thanks to TrianguloY and SVolf for keeping this project alive! Would be happy to help test any new build on A14

JayM

Post by JayM » Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:11 pm

Im using Lightning v14.3 on my S24 Ultra which runs Android 14 and i havent had any problems. Im sure theres some with features i dont use but for me its been fine, using it since it was delivered on the 27th last month.

AdamJohnson

Post by AdamJohnson » Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:50 am

When I try to edit the desktop, I get a toast that the play store license couldn't be validated. Is there a way to fix this? I will pay for it again if necessary.

Thank you so much for keeping this project alive, this has been my go-to launcher for years now!

TrianguloY

Post by TrianguloY » Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:17 am

Unfortunately the original app has been removed from play store. Apparently enabling and disabling airplane mode solves this partially.
You can follow the progress here: https://github.com/TrianguloY/Lightning ... /issues/24

The current "updated" version don't have this problem, but the backup/restore feature is not working. I plan to release a fix this weekend, hopefully.