V14.3 beta5

This is where new versions (either stable and beta) are announced
Pierrot
Site Admin

V14.3 beta5

Post by Pierrot » Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:01 am

New beta available with some important fixes!
  • Add two new options to select status and navigation bar light schemes (and dark icons)
  • Tap outside of folder to close it (with a setting, off by default for compatibility with existing setups)
  • Fix broken shortcuts when updating some apps
  • Fix blank space on devices with a notch in the display (Samsung S10, One Plus One, etc.), due to incorrect navigation bar size computation
If this version is stable enough, I'll release it as the next stable release.

ChangeLog: https://www.lightninglauncher.com/wordpress/change-log/

dew

Re: V14.3 beta5

Post by dew » Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:18 pm

Thanks for this update :)

Regarding the "tap outside folder to close it" thing I have two findings:

- It was ON by default on my phone after the update! I did nothing to enable it and windows now close autopmatically.
(For me that's ok.)

- The "outside" gesture which auto-closes the window is consumed and only used for closing the window. It would be much better if you could just swipe, tap outside of the window and actually perform the intended action while still auto-closing the open window. The problem with not auto-closing was that I wanted to tap another app or swipe to another screen and the window remained open. Now it auto-closes but the intended action (tapping an icon, swiping to a differnt screen) is not performed as the gesture is consumed for closing the window and threfore the same gesture must be done twice in order to achieve the desired action. This is a little annoying.
I hope you can change it so that an "outside" gesture performs the action it would normally do on the "ouside" and still auto-closes all an open window as a wanted side-effect.

TrianguloY

Post by TrianguloY » Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:54 pm

If you just wanted to close the folders when opening another outside app you could just set the resumed event of the desktop to 'close all folders', and enable the 'close other folders'. Closing it when swiping is a bit more difficult but should be possible with the position changed event I think.

And you are right, the auto close is enabled by default on new and old folders! Oops.

The behaviour of 'consuming' the event to close the folders is expected I think...it is the behaviour on almost all the other launchers. I'll wait for what Pierre thinks but maybe what can be done is make the 'outside' of the folder darker to remark it.

Pierrot
Site Admin

Post by Pierrot » Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:55 am

Argh... I set the flag to true for testing, and forgot to switch it back to false before to commit the change, my bad :-( I will revert it to false, I know some setups that specifically don't play nice with this.

I hesitated regarding the event consumption and tried both. I also prefer when the event is not consumed and trigger the action behind, but also it creates a border effect : when multiple folders are opened, they will all close at once.

Wait... Maybe this could be possible to handle this particular case... Do you think at any other situation like this?

@TrianguloY about the darker outside : that's something to explore! Also I'd like to try again to add some bluring.

TrianguloY

Post by TrianguloY » Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:45 am

Do you talk about:
A) A folder with the setting disabled is opened, then a folder with the setting enabled is opened, so clicking outside closes both (should only close the latest. Or
B) A folder with the setting enabled is opened, then from inside of that one a folder with the setting disabled is opened, so clicking outside should close both?

I think what should be done is 'traverse all folders in lifo order (latest opened is checked first) and close them until one with the setting enabled is found, then stop'.

PrasadKaladi

Post by PrasadKaladi » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:57 am

Sorry, for me, it's not working. Force closes whenever I unlock the phone. I'm on OnePlus3T, Android v 8.0

Pierrot
Site Admin

Post by Pierrot » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:29 am

None of A or B :) I'm talking about:
C) When two or more folders are open, all with the setting enabled, tapping outside one will also close the others (because the event traverses all layers).

Yes, closing only the first folder is what should be done. I need to figure a way to do that.

@PrasadKaladi can you send the crash report, or is the Android dialog box not displayed ?

PrasadKaladi

Post by PrasadKaladi » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:56 am

[mention]Pierrot[/mention] crash report sent.
Dialog box asking for Close LLX/Send Feedback is shown.

dew

Post by dew » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:19 am

Pierrot wrote:
> None of A or B :) I'm talking about:
> C) When two or more folders are open, all with the setting enabled, tapping
> outside one will also close the others (because the event traverses all
> layers).
>
> Yes, closing only the first folder is what should be done. I need to figure
> a way to do that.
>
> @PrasadKaladi can you send the crash report, or is the
> Android dialog box not displayed ?

For me that's no issue because having multiple windows open at the same time rarely makes sense for me...
And nice to hear that you also prefer the event *not* to be consumed by windows closing. This makes it much more logical and understandable IMHO.

dew

Post by dew » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:26 am

Pierrot wrote:
> None of A or B :) I'm talking about:
> C) When two or more folders are open, all with the setting enabled, tapping
> outside one will also close the others (because the event traverses all
> layers).

I but if "traverses all layers" means that nesting is also affected i.e. bypassed it would be a problem. I mean when I open a folder A and in that folder I open another folder B and then tap on a separate element C outside of B but still inside of A - then closing A would be undesired!

So respecting the hiearchy level would be required. Simply closing all windows is no good idea.
But I assume the event should be consumed by C anyways?

Wern-YuenTan

Post by Wern-YuenTan » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:51 am

with the latest beta, the previous bug preventing third party apps from creating shortcuts on the desktop is now back. it was fixed a few versions ago after it was reported, but seems to have reverted back

Pierrot
Site Admin

Post by Pierrot » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:29 am

Sorry for the delay, I took some vacations and lost track of this thread.

@Wern-YuenTan: I could not reproduce this. Do you have a specific app example in mind?

Wern-YuenTan

Post by Wern-YuenTan » Fri May 24, 2019 4:08 pm

It's working for me now. Not sure what I did differently but a clean redesign of my template worked. Thanks and hope you had a good vacation!

Pips

Post by Pips » Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:05 pm

Version 14.3 (6de3540)
I as well am having problems with web page shortcuts created from both Firefox and Chrome not working including progressive web application shortcuts.

juwlz

Post by juwlz » Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:24 pm

I keep meaning to report this too. (v14.3 6de3540).

It's the same for any app. Or at least, any that I've previously tried, Maps and Drive being two examples. However, I've just tried to reproduce it again, and I can't, so maybe there's something else in the mix that sometimes gets in the way of it working? (But see below for more info.)

When it was happening, I could CREATE the shortcut, and it MAY even have worked briefly, but (after moving it to a folder, and maybe in other circumstances), I would then get a toast message to say "Shortcut disabled" (I still have some Maps shortcuts that I created a few weeks ago that I haven't got around to recreating manually where I still get that message).

I can't remember whether this happened when they were on my home screen, but certainly as soon as the shortcut is moved to a folder, it'll stop working. Moving it back out of the folder doesn't fix it. I CAN manually create working shortcuts in a folder - whether I start there, or create them on the homepage and then drag into a folder.

Separate issue with icon sizes for Sheet shortcuts
Also, when creating some shortcuts, either manually or from within an app (e.g. to a Sheet in Google Drive), the icon for it is way too large on my home screen (although it's fine if I move it into a folder). This may be because my home screen is set to 5 columns x 6 rows. My icons in my folders are smaller than the ones on my home screen, but it does seem to adjust the shortcut's size in folders to match the others in there. If I move the shortcut back out again, it's bigger than all the others again.

In contrast, shortcuts created for Maps navigation have an icon size that matches the others on my home page.

All of this has been done on both my (Android One) Nokia 8.1, running Android 10 and on my Xiaomi Mi Max 3, running Android 9.0

juwlz

Post by juwlz » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:14 am

@Pierrot

A quick summary of the issues I'm getting: Shortcuts created by apps stop working when moved to a folder (see more detail above).

Unfortunately, I do want to collect almost all of my shortcuts in folders.

Pips

Post by Pips » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:48 am

One work around I found for now is to create the shortcut and then duplicate it and choose not to display the originals icon and text and move the copy over.