A new place for the Lightning Launcher Community

General news regarding the project
Pierrot
Site Admin

A new place for the Lightning Launcher Community

Post by Pierrot » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:18 pm

With the scheduled shutdown of Google+ in 2019, it has became needed to relocate the user community elsewhere.

It has been fun, but everything is evolving. Let's use this opportunity to make things even better!

PhpBB has been selected for it's flexibility, great set of features and independence. There is a ton of stuff to configure, so you may expect some rough edges here and there, but overall, I believe that everything will rapidly stabilize and that it will be great.

I'm pleased to launch this new community, let's get started!

Links to the historical Google+ communities (available as long as G+ is still alive): Backup of this communities (in read only mode, work in progress):
https://gplusarchive.lightninglauncher.com/

Cueball666uk

Re: A new place for the Lightning Launcher Community

Post by Cueball666uk » Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:13 pm

Amazing how quickly you manage to get a new place ready for lightning launcher, thanks again Pierre 🙂

Pierrot
Site Admin

Post by Pierrot » Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:30 am

This is because there are great software out there. But believe me, this wasn't as easy as it seems.

bew

Post by bew » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:49 am

Hey, have you considered setting up a Discourse forum instead of phpbb? https://github.com/discourse/discourse

I do believe that Discourse forums future is brighter than PhpBB's..

F43nd1r

Post by F43nd1r » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:20 am

bew wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:49 am
Hey, have you considered setting up a Discourse forum instead of phpbb? https://github.com/discourse/discourse

I do believe that Discourse forums future is brighter than PhpBB's..
Although I would normally reject the idea of changing up a forum after it was just made public, Discourse does indeed look a lot better to me. Here are some things I searched for which work better in Discourse:
- Native @mention, although this is a minor point as the plugin here works now
- Post reactions, which I did not find a satisfactory plugin for in phpBB
- API. phpBB doesn't have one (I was looking for this because I wanted to build better mobile notifications, but the use cases are endless)

@pierrot does it make sense to discuss this, or are you set on phpBB?

Pierrot
Site Admin

Post by Pierrot » Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:27 pm

This is unfortunate, it's just a bit too late...
I must admit that I never heard of Discourse but, agreed, it looks nice, with features that are not likely to be implemented in phpBB anytime soon.
Honestly I don't think it's reasonable to switch again, although if it had to be done, the sooner would be the better.
This was a big effort to setup this place and I don't really want to do it again, but more importantly I don't known whether registered users would want to switch again.

TrianguloY

Post by TrianguloY » Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:18 pm

Indeed, that discourse seems a nice option, I didn't know that either. And as you said, the sooner the better.
But I understand that after the effort to setup all this you prefer to take a rest.

About other users, I personally wouldn't mind switching, even if that requires a new setup. About other users, maybe create a poll?

Pierrot
Site Admin

Post by Pierrot » Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:33 pm

I'm OK for a poll, but only if Discourse tick all the boxes, and in particular if it has some good mobile app with notifications. Any info on this?

F43nd1r

Post by F43nd1r » Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:43 pm

Yes. Discourse has a mobile app, but it only supports forums on their paid hosting plan.

The API supports long polling and there is a onesignal plugin, so it looks like I would be able to build an app with notifications.

Browser push works natively as well, but is less elegant, as seen here.

bew

Post by bew » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:02 am

> Discourse has a mobile app, but it only supports forums on their paid hosting plan.

That is not exactly right, I just tested the app with another forum I'm on, the Discourse app is basically a Chrome Web View of the forum (it can be any forum, paid hosted or self hosted), with special handling for notifications (about new thread, replies, etc..). So there is basically nothing to do :)

Exemple of the notification activity of the Discourse App:
[img]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/szl1K ... 48-h905-rw[/img]
(the image is taken from the google play store)

SunChild

Post by SunChild » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:49 am

1. I like more the forum format and that it is on full control of Pierrot.

2. I think we, users, should listen to what actually pierrot said :"I don't really want to to do it again" - and should respect it.

3. time could be spent more wisely: (on LL or else Pierre project) then switching places..

Substantialy nothing changes.. With this discourse app (or chat apps like discord/slack/keybase) .. .. Let's see how that app discouse develops.. and if it even there in 1 year.... Then we speak about mobile app again.

Want mobile app to access LL forum : use Hermit app.