Can no longer save URL to a desktop

Explain your issue here
ralvy

Can no longer save URL to a desktop

Post by ralvy » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:14 pm

This has been true for a while now. Not sure when it started. I can no longer save a URL as a Shortcut to a Desktop. I have tried Chrome and Opera for this, to no avail. I do find Chrome has this problem with other Launchers as well (Nova, Apex and the default launcher for Moto Force Z). But Opera seems to work fine with those other launchers, but not with Lightning.

JayM

Re: Can no longer save URL to a desktop

Post by JayM » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:37 pm

ralvy

Post by ralvy » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:48 pm

JayM wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:37 pm
this was fixed in 14.3 beta3

https://www.lightninglauncher.com/wordpress/change-log/
Thanks! I look forward to that.

JayM

Post by JayM » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:28 pm

ralvy wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:48 pm
JayM wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:37 pm
this was fixed in 14.3 beta3

https://www.lightninglauncher.com/wordpress/change-log/
Thanks! I look forward to that.
its already out

ralvy

Post by ralvy » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:35 pm

Not on GooglePlay. The latest there is 14.2.1.

ralvy

Post by ralvy » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:46 pm

I see the Beta link now. But I'll wait for the stable version. I use this for my business all day.

ralvy

Post by ralvy » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:30 pm

Tried the Beta. It created a Shortcut for a URL when that URL is loaded in Opera, but that Shortcut is nonfunctional. I'll wait for the Stable version.

The Beta didn't create any Shortcut for URL at all when that URL is loaded in Chrome, but I don't find any launcher able to do that anymore anyway.

ralvy

Post by ralvy » Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:00 am

I tried the beta one more time. This time I was able to create a shortcut that worked but eventually it stopped working (when i moved it into a folder) and said it was disabled. The AllApps icon also stopped working completely after creating that shortcut and required me to close and open Lightning to get AllApps to work again.

Running Android 8.0.0 on Moto Z Force.

ralvy

Post by ralvy » Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:00 pm

After testing many many launchers the last couple days, I did find one that can consistently save a working Shortcut of a URL that was loaded by Chrome on my Moto Z Force running Android 8.0.0. But it's very unstable. That's Lawnchair Launcher. The reason I mention this is that it's open source, so you can see what they might be doing differently. With all other launchers I tested, none could save a working Shortcut of a URL that was loaded by Chrome. Some could save a working Opera Shortcut. Lawnchair Launcher seems to have no problem with either browser saving a URL as a Shortcut.

I'm sticking with Lightning Launcher, and loading URLs via the Chrome Bookmarks Widget.

TrianguloY

Post by TrianguloY » Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:03 pm

I'll leave this here...
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=24

ralvy

Post by ralvy » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:00 pm

I want to try scripting using the Script Editor with the code you posted. But the Script Editor drawer doesn't have a Save button. I don't find a Help doc for the Script Editor. At least not a help doc that serves as a tutorial.

TrianguloY

Post by TrianguloY » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:11 pm

'Hitting the save button crashes LL'
That's something that shouldn't happen (I can't reproduce it...wait are you on the beta or the stable).

About running scripts, in the editor everything is saved automatically, no need for a save button. Just open it, create a new one if necessary, check the categories depending on how you want to run it (for the url script check all three) and paste the code.
Then run the script (long tap, scripts for example) and choose it.

ralvy

Post by ralvy » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:27 pm

Ok. I see the script gets saves on Exit. I'm having trouble with one particular line in the script I created from your code code:

Code: Select all

function open(http://forum.eastgate.com){
When I run this script I am told that line is missing ) after formal parameters.

TrianguloY

Post by TrianguloY » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:31 pm

Oh, ok. I'm sorry but you misunderstood.
The script is a ready-to-use script, you don't need to modify it (that error is because that modification is not a valid javascript syntax, but as I said you don't need to edit the script to use it).
After pasting the script and checking the checkboxes, just go to any container, long tap, scripts, and choose the script by its name as you defined it in the editor. The script will ask which url to open, there you can paste the url.

ralvy

Post by ralvy » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:33 pm

TrianguloY wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:11 pm
That's something that shouldn't happen (I can't reproduce it...wait are you on the beta or the stable).
I later deleted that sentence, because the crash occurs when hitting then Edit button, not the Help button. Running Stable.

TrianguloY

Post by TrianguloY » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:36 pm

ralvy wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:33 pm
TrianguloY wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:11 pm
I later deleted that sentence, because the crash occurs when hitting then Edit button, not the Help button. Running Stable.
Ah, that error is in fact a known error that was fixed in the beta. The edit button is to allow opening the script file in a different app in case you want to edit it with other tools or something. For copy/paste the builtin one is enough.

ralvy

Post by ralvy » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:48 pm

Ok. It works without editing your code! Thanks so much. I just have to enter the URL string for each object when asked, and then I have an object that opens that URL on future taps. This is fine for my purposes.