Switch Phones - Rebuild or Restore

This is the place to ask "How do I ...?"
mjjanis

Switch Phones - Rebuild or Restore

Post by mjjanis » Thu May 23, 2019 2:37 am

I am setting up a new phone with LL and looking for advice. Will I be able to restore my existing phone LL setup (template and backup) to a different device and have the setup work or would it be better to rebuild?

TrianguloY

Re: Switch Phones - Rebuild or Restore

Post by TrianguloY » Thu May 23, 2019 7:40 am

Restoring a backup should restoring everything to the exact same state, so everything should 'work' as before. However if the devices have different screen sizes/resolutions the position and size of some items can change. I think templates try to fix this a bit when importing, but they are not full backups.

What I would do is:
Create a backup and a template on your old device.
Import the backup on your new device.
If you are happy with the result (or if only minor adjustments need to be made) then done.
If not delete the launcher data (or reinstall) and try restoring the template to check if they are better.
If they still don't work, then rebuild.

mjjanis

Post by mjjanis » Thu May 23, 2019 5:13 pm

Thanks! Just restored. As you mentioned the sizing is off due the the different resolutions. So I'm reselecting the icons to get the sizing correct.

I encountered an issue with selecting the icon for some apps. The app icon is not shown for selection; only a generic droid icon is shown (and it cannot be selected). I tried refreshing in the app drawer, but that did not help.

... so i just re-added the app shortcut and removed the old shortcut.

mjjanis

Post by mjjanis » Thu May 23, 2019 7:34 pm

I discovered an issue with reselecting icons for some apps.

Some app icons are not available; only a generic droid icon and it is not selectable. I tried refreshing the app drawer, but that did not work.

Is there anything I can try without reinstalling the apps ini question?

Pierrot
Site Admin

Post by Pierrot » Fri May 24, 2019 7:00 am

Do you mean you cannot select the icon in the image picker (the screen you get when selecting edit -> Select an icon) ? Or do you get a droid icon in the app drawer too ?
In theory refreshing the app drawer should fix all icons in it, however it has no impact on the image picker itself. If an icon is not refreshed in the app drawer, then it means the app is not there anymore (or its newer version has different entry points). But in this situation refreshing should fix it too :-(
Could you share a screenshot please?

TrianguloY

Post by TrianguloY » Fri May 24, 2019 8:54 am

Better to wait for confirmation, but what I think they means is that when you open the image picker and choose 'application', some apps display the icon as an image, but some others don't (Google for example).
I think we discussed this in the past, currently you have no scriptless way to choose an application icon from the image picker. Previously this wasn't an issue because almost all apps were required to have the icon as an asset, that was displayed in the image picker (and almost always with the 'icon' name) but that's not true anymore.

Does refreshing the app drawer update all icons in all items in all desktops/folders/panels if the app wasn't updated? I'm not sure, must check, but I think it isn't. If it isn't, I think the best way to run a script to do exactly this (traverse all desktops and restore the default icon) unfortunately I'm currently unable to spend time on it.

mjjanis

Post by mjjanis » Fri May 24, 2019 2:23 pm

To clarify:
Its in the Image Picker (Long press on shortcut, select the edit pencil, choose "select an icon", select "Application" from the pulldown and choose the app from the list) I get the generic droid icon. See attachment.

From the app drawer I can see the app with the correct icon.

Let me give you a little history as to how I got here (which will hopefully help).
I got a new Galaxy S9 with Oreo and Samsung Experience 9.0.
I install my apps and then upgraded to Pie (with Samsung One UI).
...and I applied an icon pack from Samsung app store.

From there I installed LL.
Attachments
Screenshot_20190524-101315_Lightning Launcher.jpg
Screenshot_20190524-101315_Lightning Launcher.jpg (292.54 KiB) Viewed 15352 times

mjjanis

Post by mjjanis » Fri May 24, 2019 3:12 pm

I just tried uninstalling and reinstalling one of the apps I use (Snackbak Tasker Plugin). After reinstall It shows in the app drawer correctly.
I add it to a desktop and the icon shows correctly.

If I try to change the icon (Long press on shortcut, select the edit pencil, choose "select an icon", select "Application" from the pulldown and choose the app from the list) I get the generic droid icon.

Pierrot
Site Admin

Post by Pierrot » Sun May 26, 2019 5:31 am

If the icon is correct in the app drawer, then what you can do is to select "Launcher images" in the image picker and you will be able to pick the right icon there.

mjjanis

Post by mjjanis » Mon May 27, 2019 3:39 pm

Thank You. Will Do. And thanks for creating a GREAT launcher!